March 14 (3-14) is Pi Day! I didn’t have time to write a special post for Pi Day this year, but I’ll direct you to some of the posts from last year, in case you missed them.
Also, here are a few cute pi cartoons from Foxtrot:
What better way to show your Valentine you care, than to make them a flexagon! You can print out this cool Valentine tri-tetraflexagon card, featuring teddy bears, at Aunt Annie’s Crafts. Or, you can choose the plain frame template and add your own pictures. But, if you want to make them for an entire class, make sure you start now! It takes some time to print, cut out, and fold. (My son is making these, and he has made enough for about a third of his class so far.)
If this seems like too much work, there are tons of cute math-themed pictures on the internet you can turn into Valentines. Last year, we found cute a Sierpinski Valentine.
If you’re looking for a holiday gift for the math geek in you life, I’ve put together a list of some of the fun math-themed products out there.
There is a lot of cool math cooking tools and dining ware available. Here’s a few items:
For your geeky guy…
If you are looking for a tie, but not sure about this one, there are a bunch of math-themed ties at Zazzle for around $32-$36.
There is a ton of cool math jewelry at Etsy…
…like this Laws of Motion Cuff Bracelet, $40,
…or these Math Earrings, $25,
…or this Fibonacci Nautilus Necklace, $30.
I came across this Irrational Numbers Wall Clock in the SkyMall catalog while traveling for Thanksgiving, $35.
Of course, it is always possible to find lots of wonderfully geeky math t-shirts. I like the selection at the Neato Shop. For example…
Does your Thanksgiving dinner need more math? Of course it does!
Here are 4 videos from Vi Hart to show you how to make green bean matherole, Borromean onion rings, optimal potatoes, and turduckenen-duckenen.
Get it? If all of the answers were different and you chose at random, you would have a 1 in 4 chance of being correct, or 25%. But 25% is 2 of the choices, meaning a 2 in 4 chance, or 50%. But there is only a 1 in 4 (25%) chance of choosing 50%…